History of Kokernot FieldKokernot Field located in Alpine, Texas. The field has been called "the Yankee Stadium of Texas" by Texas Monthly magazine, as well as a historic landmark. An estimated 6,000 attended a 1951 exhibition featuring Satchel Paige's St. Louis Browns versus the Chicago White Sox. Future Major Leaguers Norm Cash and Gaylord Perry also played on Kokernot Field.
The stadium was constructed in 1947 by Big Bend Region rancher Herbert Lee Kokernot Jr. for his semi- professional baseball team. Red clay for the infield was hauled in by boxcar from Georgia. Native stone quarried from the Kokernot Ranch was used to construct the outfield wall and grandstand. The Kokernot Ranch "06" brand was incorporated into numerous decorations throughout the stadium along with intricate ironwork of baseballs complete with painted threads.
The stadium was built to seat 1,400 people. Lighting
was installed in 1958. Ownership of the field was
turned over to the Alpine Independent School District
in 1968 after Sul Ross discontinued their baseball
program and semi-pro play ceased in Alpine after the
1961 season. Sul Ross' baseball program was revived
in 1983. The field is currently home to the Sul Ross
State University Lobos, Alpine Bucks and the Alpine
Cowboys in the Pecos League, formerly the Big Bend
Cowboys of the Continental Baseball League through
a lease arrangement. Kokernot has been home to over 10
Cowboy region and league champions, as well as numerous
Alpine High and Sul Ross State conference championships.
The legacy continues and the tradition of kokernot field stays
strong each game that is played at the historical